Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

An Ant or a Thinker

I was sitting here at my computer desk when my mind wandered. I am supposed to be doing a number of things: working on school work (I'm in college), posting in my on-line classroom, reading my decluttering book, laundry,.....Well, you get the idea.

There I was, just sitting here, when I leaned back in my chair with who-knows-what thoughts bouncing around in my head. When my eyes lit on the little shelf attached to the desk, just to my right. On that shelf is a candle (always, but changes when one burns down) with a topper on top of an ant family. There is the daddy ant, the momma ant, and the little boy ant. They are around a picnic basket, with the dad inside holding binoculars. That reminded me of the story of the ant and the caterpillar.
You know, the ants work their little ant butts off all summer long and most of the autumn while the caterpillar laughs at them while lounging. Well, winter comes and of course the ants are golden: they worked to eat as well as gather food to store for the cold weather (which obviously wasn't here in San Quirino, Italy, but I digress). The caterpillar, of course, is starving because he did nothing to prepare for the upcoming chill and just was lazy. I don't remember the end other than the ant telling the caterpillar, "Told you so."

So, now you know the story (or were reminded). The story rambled through my head as I was looking at this topper. Then, my eyes lit on an object literally right next to it: a marble thinker. Yep, the dude sitting on his fanny with his elbow on his knee and his head propped in his head. A view:
What a complete contrast of opposites. The thinker: one of the laziest people around right next to a family of ants: one of the most productive creatures God created. Which did I want staring at me when I'm on the computer or doing school or whatever? So, the question was: which did I want to be: An Ant or A Thinker? My choice: an ant. The family of ants, while the manufacturer probably didn't go as in depth, shows me a few things. 1). Work my tail off now in order to eat and to store (save up/put aside) when times are chill (lean/golden years/etc.) and 2) Take time to spend with family and to see the sites (or to travel).

So, which one are you? OR Which one do you WANT to be?

~Gen