Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Thankfulness Day 4

Today was a cool and rainy Sunday. I woke up and wondered if I shouldn't be still asleep. I looked over at the clock....nope, time to get up. That's one thing I don't like about days like today...you're body wonders for most of the day if it should still be recharging somewhere. I got plenty of sleep, but yawned all day like it was past midnight. As I'm typing this, I can hear it pouring. When that happens I know it's hard rain as my dad says. The walls of the houses here in Italy aren't built like American houses. Nope. The walls are cinderblocks and concrete. Yeah, hanging pictures are a blast! That is until we got smart, but that's for a different post. Anywho......the point is, the walls are thick! That is also kinda a bad thing in the winter. Once the walls cool down to the outside temp (it takes them a couple days of consistent cool), they hold in the cold. The way I explained it to my sister was this: think about it this way...it's like living in a electric/radiator-ran cellar....only above ground. The walls are solid....there is NO way there is a vehicle going through these babies!
Ummmmm.....where was I? Oh yeah. The point of this post. Thankfulness.

Today I am thankful for healing. One day (probably after this month is over) I will type up what happened a year ago in detail. Suffice it to say, I splintered both leg bones in my left leg last July. One year ago, I was hobbling down the stairs (all 24 of them) in the chill and the rain in this:


Some doctors call it a walking boot; some call it a moon boot. While I hated putting it on every. single. time I got out of bed or the shower and taking it off every. single. time I went to bed or took a shower, I was thankful I had it. The black contraption meant that I was allowed to walk anywhere without the support of a wheelchair or crutches. While I dreaded it, I grew rather attached to it.

A year later.....it's still rainy, but today my footwear was


.....a pair of white strappy dress shoes. The heel is no longer high (maybe an inch), but that little heel is a HUGE improvement to the sandals and the trainers I was wearing. :-)